APS 5 Community and Peer Advisor
The role of Community and Peer Advisor requires someone with lived experience of mental health issues and Australian Defence Force (ADF) service, as either an ex-ADF member or partner/carer of a current or ex-ADF member (spouse, ex-partner, or widow/widower). The position entails using one’s lived experience to respectfully support and educate clients, consumers and stakeholders about strengths-based, recovery-oriented practices and community support services.
The Community and Peer Advisor will work collaboratively within a regional Community Engagement Team to provide direct support to clients. The position will also work with key internal and external stakeholders to influence a recovery approach to service delivery for veterans and serving ADF members and their families, and in doing so foster wellbeing.
- In line with our client’s policy and procedures, provide personalised peer support services to current and former ADF members and their families.
- Where appropriate, share knowledge gained through one’s relevant lived experience and recovery to promote awareness, understanding and service improvement.
- Role model behaviours which promote mental health recovery and wellness for the purpose of client, community, and stakeholder education and engagement.
- Co-facilitate relevant group programs.
- Work effectively and cooperatively as a member of the Community Engagement Team
- Represent our client and the peer workforce to strengthen the organisation’s public profile, to further enhance responsiveness and reach.
- Work with key internal and external stakeholders to influence a recovery approach to service delivery for veteran, current ADF and their families.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of Clinical Practice and Governance policies and Accreditation.
- Participate in program evaluation and research activities, strategic direction and quality improvement, particularly in relation to community engagement activities.
- Collaborate with Community and Peer Advisors and Community Engagement Coordinators both locally and nationally, including participating in and contributing to a peer work Community of Practice.
- Participate in regular supervision, training, case conferencing and case review meetings.
Order Term/End Date (noting any extension options)
12-month initial contract with a chance of extension.
Mandatory Skills and Experience
- Lived experience of mental health issues and ADF service, as either an ex-ADF member or partner/carer of a current serving or ex-ADF member (spouse, ex-partner, or widow/widower).
- Ability to respectfully and effectively utilise this experience to promote a recovery focused approach to support others
- Willingness to undertake relevant training and professional development, including completion of certificate IV in Mental Health Peer Work
- Working with Children (WWC) and/or Vulnerable People Checks/Clearance must be obtained prior to commencing in the position.
Highly Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience supporting veterans and/or their family members and promoting recovery orientated behaviours
- Experience in casework or other human services delivery
If interested, please apply directly through the links provided. Alternately, contact Kalpana Palaniyappa for more information.
0403 200 666
Follow Calleo on LinkedIn and visit our website to keep up to date on all our current job vacancies: